AdBYD
Politics

Zambia Post-Election Violence: Former Minister Killed as Opposition Leader Goes into Hiding

Mutotwe Kafwaya, 49, a former minister of transport and communications under the previous Patriotic Front government and a close associate of Mundubile, was fatally wounded during a joint security operation in Lusaka on Friday, 14 August, the day after the country went to the polls. Police confirmed his death on Wednesday after days of uncertainty and mounting public pressure from his family and opposition figures demanding information about his whereabouts.

The Security Raid and Fatal Confrontation

According to police spokespersons, the security forces encountered "gunfire and resistance from unknown individuals" during the operation at Mundubile's residence, resulting in an exchange of fire. "In the process one unidentified male person was fatally wounded, and the firearm was recovered." Family members later identified the deceased as the former minister.

AdStumath

The government said the raid was aimed at dismantling a suspected militia that posed "a serious threat to State security." Eleven people were arrested during the operation, including three former commandos described by police as having extensive military experience. Authorities claimed they recovered "high-grade military weapons, ammunition and other materials for use in armed insurrection."

Opposition leader Brian Mundubile, who was present at the property during the raid, has rejected the government's allegations, describing them as "total fabrications." He said those arrested included members of his security detail and opposition figures. After the raid, Mundubile went into hiding, citing security concerns.

Mutotwe Kafwaya's death was confirmed days after a raid by security forces.
Mutotwe Kafwaya's death was confirmed days after a raid by security forces.

"I have no information about what happened to Mutotwe Kafwaya after he was shot at his home during the raid," Mundubile said earlier this week, before the former minister's death was confirmed.

A Disputed Election Result

The violence unfolded against the backdrop of a closely contested presidential election. The Electoral Commission of Zambia declared President Hakainde Hichilema the winner with approximately 60 percent of the vote, against roughly 38 percent for Mundubile, who contested under the National Reconciliation Party for Unity and Prosperity.

Mundubile has rejected the outcome and announced plans to challenge it in court, citing "serious irregularities, inconsistencies and circumstances" surrounding the conduct, counting, transmission and declaration of results. Under Article 103 of Zambia's Constitution, Mundubile has seven days from the declaration of the winner to petition the constitutional court, which must then determine a presidential election petition within 14 days.

Academics Nic Cheeseman and Nicole Beardsworth, writing in The Africa Report, pointed to a discrepancy in the number of people voting in the presidential election compared to the parliamentary election. "We compiled the presidential list of results and the first thing that stood out was a high number — at least 27 constituencies — where the ruling United Party for National Development received a supermajority of the vote in the presidential election, with a voter turnout of over 80%. This stands in stark contrast to the national registered-voter-weighted turnout of 57%."


International Observers Raise Concerns

International and regional observer missions have raised significant concerns over the electoral environment and the counting process. The European Union observation mission warned that late electoral reforms and restricted media access may have contributed to an "uneven contest."

In a statement, the EU mission said the "broader electoral process took place in an environment that limited fundamental freedoms." Michael McNamara, chief of the EU observation mission, noted that "late legal changes, legal uncertainty, and unequal campaign conditions distorted the playing field."

The EU mission also reported that the counting process "deteriorated significantly" after the electoral commission's decision to suspend vote-counting for several hours on Friday following reports of violence against polling staff and the theft of ballot papers. Observers reported prolonged pauses during the count in nearly half of the tables, while officials "seemed to wait and receive instructions from the ECZ headquarters before announcing the results." They also considered that a "strong military presence" after the suspension "proved intimidating" and caused party agents and citizen observers to leave the counting centres.


UN Calls for Restraint

United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Türk has expressed concern over the reported arrests and detention of political opponents in the country. Türk urged Zambian authorities to stop arbitrary arrests and ensure that due process is fully respected. All arrests "must be fully consistent with international human rights standards, as well as Zambian domestic law," he said in a statement.


An Unusual Test for Zambian Democracy

The election was seen as a test of Zambia's reputation as one of Africa's most stable democracies, having experienced peaceful transfers of power since the return to multiparty politics in 1991. However, the post-election violence and security operations have raised questions about the country's democratic trajectory.

The Zambia Conference of Catholic Bishops expressed concern over the deployment of the army during the vote counting, stating that "the maintenance of order during elections is constitutionally and statutorily the responsibility of the Zambia Police Service."

The death of Kafwaya has intensified scrutiny of the government's handling of political opposition. As the opposition prepares its legal challenge, the case has become a test of the government's commitment to the rule of law and transparent governance. For the family of Mutotwe Kafwaya, and for a nation watching closely, the question remains whether the circumstances surrounding his death will be fully investigated and whether those responsible for any unlawful actions will be held accountable.


With reporting from AP News, Reuters, The Africa Report, UN News, GBC Ghana Online and BBC News.

More from James A. Abi

More in Politics

AdAhostPal