The collapse occurred on Monday night, August 10, at a disused mining site in the Nkaneng area near Rustenburg, about 130 kilometres northwest of Johannesburg. Police said eight other miners were injured, while rescue teams searched the rubble for possible survivors and additional victims. The miners are believed to have been searching for platinum group metals at the abandoned site. Several of those rescued were reportedly from neighbouring Lesotho, underlining the cross-border nature of South Africa's illegal mining economy.
A Recurring Tragedy in South Africa's Abandoned Mines
Illegal miners, commonly known as "zama zamas"—a Zulu term meaning "those who try their luck"—frequently enter abandoned mines in search of gold and other valuable minerals. Many work without proper equipment, ventilation or emergency systems, exposing them to tunnel collapses, fires, explosions and toxic gases. The latest tragedy comes amid a broader government crackdown on illegal mining. Authorities have increasingly linked the industry to organised criminal networks involved in the extraction, transportation and illegal sale of minerals.
South Africa has the world's largest platinum reserves, and the Rustenburg area is a hub for platinum mining. The disused mine where the collapse occurred had been operated legally by Sustenza Trading, which is licensed to mine platinum group metals. Police said the site had been infiltrated by illegal miners who entered without being detected by private security personnel. North West police commissioner Arthur Adams acknowledged that monitoring of licensed mining sites falls under the Department of Mineral Resources and Energy, and police were working to strengthen coordination with the department.
A Cross-Border Headache for the Ramaphosa Administration
The Rustenburg collapse has brought renewed attention to the cross-border nature of illegal mining. Several of those rescued were reportedly from Lesotho, highlighting how the illicit mineral trade draws workers from across Southern Africa. The presence of foreign nationals in South Africa's illegal mining operations has complicated enforcement efforts and added diplomatic dimensions to an already difficult problem.
The involvement of foreign nationals from Lesotho and other neighbouring countries reflects the economic desperation that drives people across borders to seek work in South Africa's abandoned mines. It also underscores the challenges facing the Ramaphosa administration, which must balance domestic enforcement with maintaining good relations with neighbouring countries whose citizens are both victims and participants in the illegal mining economy.
The South African government has faced criticism from Lesotho and other countries over the treatment of their citizens caught up in illegal mining operations, while also dealing with domestic pressure to crack down on the industry. The diplomatic dimension adds a layer of complexity to an already challenging enforcement landscape, as any large-scale crackdown could strain relations with South Africa's neighbours.
A Crisis That Refuses to Go Away
The crisis gained international attention during the Stilfontein mine disaster in late 2024 and early 2025, when dozens of suspected illegal miners died after becoming trapped underground. Authorities eventually recovered 93 bodies from Shaft 11 in what became one of the worst illegal mining tragedies in South African history. The Stilfontein disaster prompted widespread public outrage and forced the government to confront the scale of the problem.
Despite the high-profile tragedy, illegal mining has continued unabated. The Rustenburg collapse demonstrates that enforcement alone has not solved the problem. The Department of Mineral Resources and Energy has said it is working to secure abandoned mines and prevent illegal entry, but the scale of the challenge is immense. With thousands of abandoned shafts across the country, monitoring and securing every site is a near-impossible task.
The government has responded with increased police operations and plans to strengthen efforts against organised crime and illegal mining. Operation Vala Umgodi, a multi-agency task force launched to combat illegal mining, has made significant arrests and seizures. However, the Rustenburg collapse shows that the problem remains deeply entrenched.
The Human Cost of a Deadly Trade
For the families of those killed, the latest incident is another devastating reminder of the human cost of South Africa's illicit mineral trade. Many of the victims were breadwinners supporting extended families, and their deaths have left communities in mourning and economic distress. The eight injured miners remain in hospital under police guard, their fate uncertain.
The tragedy also raises questions about the responsibility of mining companies and the government. While the site was legally operated, security measures failed to prevent illegal miners from entering. There are concerns that private security companies are not adequately resourced to keep out the thousands of illegal miners who operate across the country.
Illegal mining remains difficult to eradicate because South Africa has thousands of abandoned and disused mine workings. The country's valuable mineral deposits, combined with unemployment and poverty, continue to draw people into dangerous underground operations. As long as the economic conditions that drive people to take such risks persist, the tragedies will likely continue.
The government has expressed its condolences to the families and vowed to continue its efforts to combat illegal mining, but the tragedy in Rustenburg shows that the problem requires a more comprehensive approach—one that addresses the root causes of poverty and unemployment, while also strengthening enforcement and holding organised crime networks accountable.
With reporting from Reuters, Associated Press, South African Police Service, North West Provincial Government and Institute for Security Studies.


