The attack took place near Tabankort, in the Gao region, where armed groups have maintained a strong presence. The Malian army confirmed that its convoy had been attacked and said a counter-operation was under way.
The assault was claimed separately by Jama’at Nusrat al-Islam wal-Muslimin (JNIM), al-Qaeda’s regional affiliate, and the Azawad Liberation Front (FLA), a Tuareg-led separatist movement seeking greater autonomy or independence for northern Mali. Both groups claimed to have inflicted heavy losses and significant material damage on the military.
Convoy caught in ambush
The convoy had departed Anefis and was travelling towards Gao when fighters struck near Tabankort.
A military source in Gao told reporters that the fighting was continuing and described the incident as an ambush. The army did not immediately release figures for soldiers killed, wounded or captured.It also added that its partners had come under attack. This reference is understood to include Russian personnel working alongside Malian forces as part of Moscow’s security partnership with Bamako.
The absence of an official casualty figure has left the full scale of the losses unclear. However, statements from the FLA and JNIM described substantial casualties among government forces, while footage circulated by the separatists purported to show captured Malian soldiers.
The authenticity and circumstances surrounding some of the footage could not be independently established.
JNIM and FLA join forces
The attack illustrates the increasingly complex nature of Mali’s conflict, where jihadist organisations and separatist movements with different political objectives can sometimes cooperate against the government.
JNIM has spent years expanding its influence across Mali and neighbouring parts of the Sahel. The group seeks to weaken state authority and establish territory under its interpretation of Islamic rule.
The FLA, by contrast, is primarily driven by a separatist agenda centred on northern Mali and the aspirations of Tuareg and other communities in the region.
Their cooperation gives both sides an opportunity to put greater pressure on the Malian military. For JNIM, attacks on military convoys disrupt government operations and expose weaknesses in the army’s ability to secure remote territory. For the FLA, battlefield successes strengthen its position in its struggle for control of northern Mali.
Anefis becomes a key flashpoint
The convoy was travelling from Anefis, a strategically important northern town that has become one of the main flashpoints in the latest fighting.
The Malian army said on July 10 that it had retaken Anefis after an operation against forces belonging to the FLA and JNIM. The offensive came at considerable cost, with the army chief saying about 30 Malian soldiers were killed and roughly 60 wounded.
The FLA had seized the town six days earlier, making its capture and subsequent recapture an important episode in the struggle for control of northern Mali.
The latest ambush near Tabankort suggests that the fighting around Anefis has not ended with the government's recapture of the town. Instead, armed groups appear capable of striking forces attempting to move along the roads linking northern military positions.
For the Malian army, this creates a difficult logistical problem. Holding a town is one challenge; keeping the roads supplying it secure is another.
A war now in its second decade
Mali has faced an armed insurgency for more than 14 years, beginning with a rebellion in the north before jihadist groups expanded their operations across large parts of the country.
The conflict has survived successive military campaigns, international interventions and major changes in Mali's foreign alliances.
Since military coups in 2020 and 2021, the junta has sharply reduced its dependence on France and other Western partners and deepened its military relationship with Russia. Russian Africa Corps personnel have operated alongside Malian forces as the government attempts to reclaim territory from armed groups.
Yet the continuing attacks demonstrate how difficult it remains for Bamako to establish lasting security across the country's vast northern and central regions.
Civilians bear the cost
The continuing fighting is also worsening an already serious humanitarian situation.
The United Nations estimates that millions of Malians require humanitarian assistance as violence, displacement and insecurity disrupt livelihoods and access to basic services.
The conflict has also made movement increasingly dangerous with Armed groups targeting roads and transport routes, while military operations have displaced communities and restricted humanitarian access.
The northern regions are particularly vulnerable because of their distance from Bamako and the limited infrastructure available to both civilians and security forces.
For communities living along the routes between Gao, Anefis and other northern towns, the latest ambush is another reminder that the government's military presence does not necessarily translate into security outside fortified positions.
A wider challenge for Bamako
The Tabankort attack represents more than another battlefield encounter. It exposes the difficulty facing Mali's military government as it attempts to regain control over territory while fighting several armed groups with different objectives.
JNIM remains capable of conducting attacks over wide areas, while the FLA continues to challenge Bamako's authority in the north. Their ability to strike a military convoy travelling between major northern towns demonstrates that government forces remain vulnerable even after costly operations to recapture territory.
For Bamako, the challenge now is not simply to retake towns but to hold them, secure the roads connecting them and prevent armed groups from rebuilding their positions.
The fighting near Tabankort shows that, despite years of military operations and a major shift in Mali's international alliances, the country's security crisis remains deeply entrenched with northern Mali once again emerging as one of its most dangerous fronts.
With reporting from AFP, Reuters, Al Jazeera and Amnesty International.


